CFLs (the “squigly” lightbulbs) are the latest rage because they save a ton of energy but did you know they have a toxic level of mercury inside them? Nothing that would kill or anything like that – of course – however, there are some important things you should know about cleaning one up should it break. For example… never use a vaccum to clean up leftovers from a breakage on a hard surface! No explanation for “why” is given but I gather the mercury particulate can get dispersed by the vacuum cleaner because the filter can’t catch it – just a guess though. Anyway, don’t do it!!!
For more info that I would rather not copy (to give the site appropriate credit) check out this excellent and incredibly helpful Going Green blog post called “Take Care with CFLs“.
Big thanks to Bill Slawski at SEO by the Sea for giving me the heads up on this.